Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rainy day in town

Last week, I planned out our meals for the entire week ahead, and bought groceries to have on hand for each meal. I don't usually do this; I tend to buy random things, such as whatever is on sale, at the grocery store and then come up with meals based on what I have on hand. I always end up needing more ingredients than what I have already, and seem to spend a ton of money on groceries. But when I planned out our meals, I spent around half of what I'd normally spend on a weeks groceries. I realize that to some, the concept of meal planning is old news. But to me, it's like this whole new world of organization/simplifying my life have suddenly opened up to me. I didn't go so far as to plan meals for certain days. I just had a list of seven meals, and chose one each morning for that evening. It worked SO WELL. So, today being payday, I am going to try planning out our meals for the next two weeks. We'll see how it goes, but I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest! It takes so little time, and saves me a lot in the long run, because I'm not sitting around wondering what I should make for dinner. I'll let you know how it works for a two week increment!

Also, I stumbled upon Simple Mom the other day, and if you've never checked it out before, you really should. It's a pretty great site! 

On a completely different note, I ran into our thrift store in Kalispell today and all of the kids things were half off, so we looked around for a little while. I actually found the kids some great play clothes, as well as a few vintage Fisher Price toys, and everything was only a dollar each! Plus, they love the toys! 

We had a fun day in town. No one was overly crabby, it was cloudy and raining, which was a nice reprieve from the scorching weather we've been having, and we found some great deals. 

Now I'm going to throw together this Mexican Lasagna for dinner, and we'll have a nice, relaxing evening. I love my nights at home!

No comments: