Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My first hot yoga experience

was, surprisingly, really great! I started this process by googling Flathead Yoga. I only got three actual sites: The Summit, Flathead Yoga, and Flathead Hot Yoga. They are all pretty similar, the only real difference being the temperatue of the room at Healing Sun (Flathead Hot Yoga) and the times offered. In the end I chose hot yoga simply because they had better time options for me. Carl isn't finished coaching until the middle of February, so I can't go until he gets home around 6:00 p.m. The class I went to tonight was at 7:15, perfect for me to leave intructions for Carl, have dinner ready for the kids, and make it there a little early.

One of the more appealing aspects of going to Healing Sun was the flexibility, not just of their class times, but of the classes themselves. They are very open about what you can and can't do, basically leaving it open to each person doing what they are comfortable with. This works well for me, because I have never been to a yoga class. I have done pilates at home, but this was totally different. I have to say, I LOVED it! I was a little apprehensive, considering I have been to inactive since I had Sienna. After going, I see now I had no reason to be. I really was able to rest when I needed to, vary the poses if need be (my muscles are SUPER tight) and make the experience whatever I wanted it to be. The room is kept at 105 degrees - I know that sounds ridiculously hot, but it's actually not that bad. I mean, I was sweating like crazy, but it was a good feeling. The only time I felt fatigued was when I needed a break, and my muscles were all trembly, but not from the heat but from the fact that I am horribly out of shape. The class was 90 minutes, and incredibly relaxing. Plus, the sweating is supposed to be awesome for your skin; something to do with toxins.

Anyway, I totally recommend hot yoga for anyone who is interested in yoga in general. I love it! I feel so relaxed, plus have that great feeling you get after a really good workout. So if you can find one near where you're at, try it out!

1 comment:

R said...

so jealous. it sounds fantastic. and 105 degrees in a MT winter sounds perfect. I