Thursday, February 07, 2008

We are so sick!

Last night, around 10 p.m., Caden woke up crying. He sounded funny, so I went and got him up pretty quickly. He was coughing, and seemed sickly. We held him and Avery for a little while, and then put them back to bed without trouble. He woke up again about an hour later, we did the same thing, and again they went down easily. Around 11:30, he was screaming so we ran in to get him, (Avery is always awake if he's awake) grabbed her, too, and brought them into our bed. I held him for a little bit, which made him fall asleep, so I laid him down in our bed but that startled him awake. I should also add that it was nearly completely dark in our room. I laid next to him, trying to comfort him, but also wondering what that strange feeling was on my legs. I thought he had himself so covered in snot from his running nose that it had made it's way to my legs. Then I noticed that I was still smelling puke (Si had thrown up all over her carseat the previous day, and I thought I just couldn't get the smell out of my nose). So as I quickly turned the lamp on, I just knew.

Sure enough, he had puked. He was covered, his beloved blankie was covered, and I was pretty well coated as well.

To make a long story short, he was puking every hour to start, Avery started in around 2:00 a.m. and Carl around 6:00 a.m. The twins and I were up from 2ish on doing laundry, because I knew there would be NO sleeping in our household until they had their blankies, not to mention Avery's giraffie. So after a million loads of laundry, which was actually quite comical, with the two of them crying, staring into the washer as they watched their stuff go round and round while blankie and giraffie had "baths", I went and slept for an hour or so while Carl sat with them. I felt able to function after that. I have luckily not been joining them in the vomiting fun as of yet, and hopefully will not have to. I have been sick off and on all week, but no vomiting. So for most of the night they were all leaning over buckets every ten or fifteen minutes, but it seems to have subsided, and they are taking a wonderfully long nap.

I had heard about a 24 - 48 hour bug that was hitting people really hard, but not lasting very long. I guess one of the schools around here closed for a day or two because so many teachers and students were sick, but were okay a couple days later. I am really hoping that is what will happen in our case! It is SO not fun caring for two sick two year olds, and their sick dad. The dad of course is sure he is dying the second he feels nausea coming on. Men.

Hope everyone else is feeling well, and can avoid this miserable bug!


Angie said...

So sorry. :( It's so draining when kids are sick, especially stomach flu stuff - yuck. We're all still recovering from whatever we had. I'm just willing the sun to shine...somehow I think that would make me feel better. :)

Sandra said...

I hope you are all feeling better! Men are so funny when they are sick.