Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cold Remedies

I want to avoid these:


I have a cold that I can't seem to kick. Every few days I start feeling better, only to awaken with a throat that feels like it's been rubbed down with sandpaper. I went to the gym yesterday to workout, hoping that that would help, but instead I felt as if I was going to keel over on the elliptical. 

So, my question is: 

What home remedies do you have for cold symptoms that you can pass along to me? I really need something, so dig up your grandma's advice for me! 

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Just the normal stuff--lots of rest/sleep when you can, extra water, chicken noodle soup. Nothing that's going to dehydrate you. Humidifiers? Steamy showers? Neti pot? Vaporub?

I hate having a cold that hangs on! Feel better, friend!

Anonymous said...

If you have a cough put the vaporub on your feet and then put socks on. I know it sounds weird, but it work better than putting it on your chest.

If you want an all natural way to go try mincing up a few cloves of garlic and put it in a carrier oil (olive works well) brush that on the bottom of your feet, wrap in cling wrap then put some socks on. Go to sleep. In the morning you will have garlic breath but feel way better. Do it for a few nights in a row. I promise it works for me! I hope you feel better soon!

aola said...

Vicks vapor rub (we put the Vicks on our chest and cover with a wash rag when we go to sleep so you can breath in the vapors)
Vaporizer
Hot shower

for your scrathy throat - a little honey/lemon/whiskey mix :)

Lots of vitamin C, zinc also helps speed up the healing process

Bromelain helps with upper respitory ailments.

But, mostly vitamins and supplements are preventative.

Little Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies used to say to drink her tonic every day for two weeks and you will be better :)

I think the best thing you can do is boost your immune system with lots of rest and the right vitamins and your body will take care of the rest.